Sunday, March 3, 2013

From A Metal Princess To A Rising Scream Queen: My Interview With Paula Marcenaro Solinger


Paul Marcenaro SolingerPaula Marcenaro Solinger is an artist from humble beginnings as the Argentinian actress started out in the underground theatrical community in her home country. Born in Buenos Aries Paula Marcenaro first fell in love with acting at age 6, joining the drama club at her primary school. Working her way through the lesser acknowledged underground theatre scene she soon found herself actually gaining attention and earning a living at the thing she loved most, acting. Having worked in feature films, shorts, stage performances and as a television host Paula is now rising in the American Indie horror community as well and is now calling Texas home. The young actress has already starred in two  features her in the states and has two more in pre-production. Her best known role, aside from being a serious predator in the vampire flick “Blood Reunion” is, however, as a metal princess. Paula Marcenaro met and married metal legend Johnny Solinger of the self titled 90's metal band Solinger and now lead singer of Skid Row. It is also worth mentioning that the young actress is a very talented artiste, leaning toward a more expressionist style on canvas and in sculpture.

Now Paula Mercenaro Solinger is gearing up to star in the Indie action horror film “Velvet Vengeance”. A feature adaptation from the award winning short film by Jeremy Campbell. She will take on the role of Lita, one of the breakout characters from the short film and a fan favorite. It is a role she is notably excited to take on and one she is more than apt to kick ass in. The feature blends martial arts, fighting and slasher in a new visionary style becoming popular in genre film making. Blending multiple elements from different concepts to create a unique story is what will keep horror alive and viable for the next generation as most material now is becoming slightly less horror and more pre-washed rhetoric. (I hate saying that about the one field of entertainment I truly love but it is true. Just check mine and many other’s DVR lists and you will see.) I was thrilled to have the opportunity to ask Solinger a few questions about her life, her loves and of course “Velvet Vengeance”.

Paula M Solinger
ASouthernLife:Tell me about growing up in Buenos Aires, what type of shows and movies did you watch and is that when first realized you wanted to act?
Paula Marcenaro Solinger
: Honestly, the acting bug didn't have to do with me watching TV or films... I'm an only child so I would lock myself in my room and perform for an invisible audience. Or a stuffed animals audience...I was never a huge TV fan, but I do remember one of my favorites movies as a kid were ET and Gremlins. I wanted them as pets.

ASouthernLife:  You joined drama club at age six, at school. What plays do you remember performing?
Paula Marcenaro Solinger: Geez, when I was 6? Well most of them were kid's plays by Argentinean authors. It wasn't until I was older that I went on to performing Shakespeare, Moliere, Ionesco, and all the usual suspects.

ASouthernLife:  When did you make the transition into acting as a true profession, what was your first job as an actress?
Paula Marcenaro Solinger: You mean, the first time I actually got paid? Hahhah! My first couple of jobs were in underground theatre. That lead to performing in 1000-seater theaters, and ultimately considering the transition to films. I always saw it as a profession, even as a teen, but I was also aware that delivering a classic monologue would not pay the rent, so I went to college and had a Plan B.

ASouthernLife:  Your previous three films here in the States were all thriller or horror genre films, so is it safe to assume that you're a horror movie fan?
Paula Marcenaro Solinger: I became more of fan AFTER doing the films. I believe horror films, and actors in horror films are sometimes underrated. I didn't see it that way until I had to make an audience believe that I was terrorized, fatally wounded, or willing to suck blood for a meal.

ASouthernLife:  In "Velvet Vengeance" you are taking on the role of Lita, tell me about the character, how do you view her?
Paula Marcenaro Solinger: Lita is a sneaky, sexy character that is willing to do anything to get her way. I'm sure everyone has met someone that fits that description at least one.

ASouthernLife:  What did you think of the short film and knowing the feature will a bit different does it change the character Lita any?
Paula Marcenaro Solinger: I do my research before taking on a role...I read the script, watched the short, and went for the role. I wanted to do it, and I was lucky to get it. The Lita I am playing is different, yes. But I won't say how or why. You will have to wait and see!

Paula M Solinger 2ASouthernLife:  How are you preparing for the role, will there be a lot of physical routines or fighting demands for Lita?
Paula Marcenaro Solinger: There are plenty of physical routines for the girls in the film so it will be fun! I love doing stunts and fight scenes. I am a little bit of a tomboy and I love sports...watching and playing. I have a judo and kickboxing background, and I am eager to use it!

ASouthernLife: The metal in me would be pissed if I didn't ask but your married to Johnny Solinger the lead singer of Skid Row. How did you two meet?
Paula Marcenaro Solinger: He was touring in South America when we met in late November 2009. We hit it off immediately, but 3 days later he left for the next city. We started talking pretty much every day... Two weeks later he asked me to spend Christmas and New Year's with him.. and I did... Now we are happily married.

ASouthernLife: Where you into metal growing up, because it is pretty big in South America?
Paula Marcenaro Solinger: The rock and metal scene is huge in South America. And yes, I grew up listening to Kiss, Aerosmith, Alice Cooper, Motley Crue, Ozzy, Guns n' Roses, The Ramones, Pink Floyd etc..

ASouthernLife: What is your favorite horror movie of all time and what is your favorite rock song?
Paula Marcenaro Solinger
: I will take the liberty of not choosing a favorite but favorites. The Shining, The Exorcist, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Carrie, to name a few.... Now the songs depend a lot on my mood... That is such a difficult question... Right now, it's Kings of Demolition, off Skid's Row new record United World Rebellion, due on April 16th.. One of the perks of "being with the band" is having full access to the song… hehehehe.

No comments:

BlogCatalog

Personal Journals of Life's Lessons and Experiences Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

ZombiesEverywhere


JoJo's Book Corner

Jojo's Book Corner

Reading on The Darkside

Reading On The Dark Side